Translate

Monday, September 25, 2006

My dad is a preacher. When I tell people that, most of them say "Oh! You're one of those!" Yes. I am a PK. A preacher's kid. A lot of people are under the assumption that since I am a preacher's daughter I am a hell-raiser. To be honest, I have done plenty of things I am not proud of. However, I don't think I could be put in that category. My sister and I were raised with some strict rules. We were not allowed to listen to rock music. We didn't watch movies that had anything but a G rating. My dad didn't make us wear dresses all the time, but our pants could not be too tight or our shorts too short. (Above the knees was too short.) My dad has always been great though. He's a very straight-laced, right-wing conservative. However, he has great compassion for people. He would be the first to speak out against drinking and gambling, and homosexuality. But he would be the first to reach out to and embrace the people brought down by such things. He's probably the hardest working person I know. A lot of people think a preacher just works on Sunday and spends the rest of his time sitting around eating fried chicken. Not my dad. I've seen him go out at 3:00am because somebody needed to talk to him. He is always on the go. He visits people in the community. He visits people in the hospital. He volunteers at the local mission center. He just got back from a mission trip to Africa. He's been to Russia several times as well. I am proud to be a PK. Sure, my childhood was a little sheltered. Looking back I'm grateful. I see kids who were not raised by a good Christian father, or no father at all. A lot of them are now in serious trouble. I was blessed. So what if I couldn't wear a two-piece bathing suit at the beach? I wouldn't trade that for the life I have now. When I looked for a husband, I looked for someone with the same qualities as my dad. I was blessed to find him. I'm happy to know that my sons have great male role models to look up to in my husband, my dad, and my brother-in-law. If they are anything like them, they will be just fine.

No comments: